What does it mean when your left eye twitches? Get more insights on the meaning of left eye twitching, causes, superstition myths, home remedies and treatments to stop eye jumping.
Right or Left Eye Twitching Meaning
Eye twitching is a repetitive, uncontrollable blinking or spasm of the eyelid, usually the upper lid.
Eye twitching (blepharospasm) usually affects the eye muscles of both eyes. If you have eye twitching, you may have an involuntary movement that recurs every several seconds for a minute or two.
Various societies have attached this involuntary eye movement to various superstitious meanings. Medically eye jumping is a condition that can be triggered by various factor and there are a number of ways established on how to stop eye twitching.
Left Eye Twitching Superstiotion
What does it mean when your left or right eye twitches? A twitch of a right is associated with good luck superstition. It could mean that good events will happen to you like receiving good news, get money or achieve your expectation. Unfortunately, left eye twitching superstition indicate bad omen.
Some people believe that having a twitch of a left eye is a sign of good luck as well. This phenomenon can be used to predict excellent event to happen to you. It depend on your traditions and cultural believe of your own society.
The following are some of the myths and superstition attached to eye spasm by various societies:
Eye Twitching Superstition from Africa
Most African community believes that when you meet an individual with a left twitching eye and looks at you, it is magical and can result to fungal infection of your tongue or you can get boils. Such individual are feared by society though no scientific evidence to justify.
Involuntary blinking of the your left eye to some community is linked to myths that such individual probably are envious which cannot be claimed to true because no one has justify it. They claim that malicious individual will always twitch their eyes as indication of negative perception someone has toward achievement of the others.
Eye Twitching Superstition from China Meaning
According to Chinese myths, left eye twitching is associated with good luck superstition like waiting for the fortune or good news. This belief is opposite to misfortune to happen. When you have a twitch of the right one indicate bad omen to them which foretells bad luck coming your way.
Chines also believes that when you twitch your left lower eye lid means you are about to cry soon .these shows a bad event can happen to you that can result to crying. They also believe that when someone starts gossiping on you it can cause involuntary spasm of your eye lid muscles. Time of the day is very important to determine the likely event that will happen according to Chinese culture when your left eye twitches.
Here are some of the prediction you can make depending on time of the day according to Chinese culture
|Time of the day
|Left eye superstition||Right eye superstition|
|11:00pm to 1:00am||You will meet a visitor from a nobleman.||You will be invited to a party or feast by your friends.|
|1:00am to 3:00am||Indicate worrying events are coming for you, it is about to happen.||Someone is thinking about you|
|3:00am to 5:00am||You are about to host a friendly visitor or guest from another city or distance location||Happy event wait for you, it is an indication to joy.|
|5:am to 7:00am||You expect a special visitor to your home.||Is an encouraging sing because everything will be good to you.|
|7:am to 9:00am||One of your best friends from another city will visit you.||It is a warning sign to you that you will get small danger or injury.|
|9:00am to 11:am||Expect to get invitation for parting or feasting.||Indicate you that will come across chaos or even have a quarrel with someone.|
|11:am to 1:00pm||You are about to be invited to dine and wine to your satisfaction.||Sing of misfortune to be falling you like having great disaster.|
|1:00pm to 3:00pm||Is a good sign to be prosperous in your plans especially getting a lot of finance.||Joyful moment wait for you, expect happy mood.|
|3:00pm to 5:00pm||You are about to make loss of money, physical damage will fall you.||Someone you dearly love will come into your thoughts.|
|5:00pm to 7:00pm||Someone will be coming to your home or house.||You will receive visitor from far way location.|
|7:00pm to 9:00pm||Someone will visit you home.||You will associate with a crowd or attend a meeting.|
|9:00pm to 11:pm||Be prepared to meet a friend who will visit you.||You could have a trouble that can take you to court, be cautious.|
Eye Twitching Superstition from India
According to Indian, the superstition of the eye is opposite to Chinese. Believes about eye spasms vary with the eye that twitches, the gender and part of the eyelid that twitches. The time of the day is not considered to predict the meaning.
A twitch of right eye superstition is for good luck. They believe when you have a right twitch, expect good news and achievement to happen in your life.
Gender also determines the meaning of eye twitching. For women, left eye indicate good to happen while in men it is considered as bad omen. Men who have these conditions are considered to have misfortune in their life.
The part of the eye also dictates the superstition of eye twitching. When you have a left eye pupil twitching is a symbol of good luck. These suggest that the spasm happening in the pupil is associated with good events to happen. They believe spasms in middle eye are a sign of gaining money. When you have involuntary spasms in the left eyelid indicates a misfortune to happen. Lower part of the eye spasms indicates you will spend a lot of money or eve loss money. Significantly, the twitch of the left eyebrow shows you are about to get a new born child in your family or get good news.
Left Eye Twitching (Under or Inside)
Having many believes about the meaning of blinking you left eye, there are scientific description behind all the superstition people are having depending on their culture. Eye twitching is also referred to as myokymia. The condition is involuntary and an individual finds himself twitching the eye.
The spasms in the eye muscles are a common condition to many individual. You may have experienced such condition and ask yourself why my left eye twitches does and symbolize. Although there are many established believes for these disorder but medical reason behind them explain it better.
Spasms in the left eye come as result of involuntary contraction and relaxation of muscle around the eye. The sudden movement of muscle around the eye results from several factors;
- Dry eyes, Normal healthy eyes should be well moist and lubricated by tears from the lachrymatory glands. When you have dry eyes due to dehydration of body fluids, eye twitching will be a common problem to you.
- Eye infection, your eye can twitch due to disease. Your eyes can get infection from bacterial, fungi and viruses. Infection can be in one eye or both. Two common eye infections that can result to spasms are conjunctivitis and stye infection. Conjunctivitis is characterized by pinkeye and people with these infection experience frequent eye spasms. Stye infection is characterized by bump development on the eyelid which interferes with muscle connection and nerves coordination around the eye resulting to involuntary spasm in your eye.
- Lack of a sleep, insufficient sleeping is linked to eye twitching. When you sleep, it keeps your body muscle relaxed and rest for effective health functioning of the nerve coordination. Lack of sleeping makes your eye muscles to get fatigue hence initiate spasms in your eye.
- Stress and fatigue, being highly stressed in your mind can result to eye twitching. Brain is the Centre of nerve coordination and if subjected to stress the immediate outcome is your eye spasms.
- Pollution, your eyes are very sensitive to environmental pollutions like smoke, dust particle and harmful chemicals. Foreign material in the eye causes irritation that can result to involuntary spasms in your eyes.
- Poor vision, when you straggle to visualize due to dim light or distance , your eye muscle are subjected to staining that can result to muscle spasm on your facial part. If you force to see what is not clear can result to twitching of the eye.
- Consumption of alcohol and caffeine, the two drugs has side effect on the nerve coordination of the eye muscle which can result to spasms. Excess use of alcoholic and caffeinated drinks makes the body muscle to contact and relax involuntary. These suggest that if you abuse the two drugs, you create high chances for left eye twitching.
- Eye allergy, some individual are vulnerable to allergies like smoke, pollen grain and dust that can result to spasm of eyelid. Most allergies are very irritating and when it enters your eye it develop serious problem like involuntary contraction of the muscle in the eye.
- Neurological disorder, individual suffering from nerve disease such as ganglia can affect their eye muscles resulting to twitching of one eye or both.
Left Eyelid Twitching (Upper or Lower)
Muscle spasms also happen on the eyelids and you can feel sudden movement of the eyelid muscle by yourself. The involuntary contraction of eyelids muscles occurs mostly to many individual and it is a common problem. The condition is irritating and it might be a serious health issue. Twitching of the eyelids can be attributed to an eye disorder known as blepharospasm.
Left eye twitching could be the result of the dry eyes, conjunctivitis or due to light sensitivity.it can also be caused by other factors like;
- Pollution of the environment
- Lack of proper sleep
- Poor vision
- Infection of the eye such as bumps on eyelid
- Eye allergies
- Deficiency of vitamin and mineral like magnesium
- Suffering from neurological disorder like gaglia
- Excess consumption of alcohol and caffeine
Other neurological disorder can be related to involuntary blinking of the eye such as epilepsy, Tourette syndrome, Parkinson’s disease. Injuries on facial area can also cause involuntary eyelid blinking. Facial spasms on the eyelid can develop into inflammation and these calls for medical consultation. For these case medical checkup should be done to ensure the problem is done off.
Left Eye Twitching Treatment
According to your culture, twitching of the left eye could have positive superstition. But the fact is that you need to get medical consultation if you experience facial spasms because it could be a symptom of neurological disorder like Parkinson’s disease that requires medical attention.
If you ever experience left eye twitching and you came across these information, please don’t panic for no apparent reason because you need to understand these concepts .in addition Parkinson’s infection is characterized by prolonged spasm of the right part of the face.
If you experience extreme left facial spasms that occurs for more than three consecutive days. You need to seek for medical advice. Rare cases of left spasms as symptom of Parkinson’s disease have been reported to health records. Left eye twitching could be due to other infections or allergies that need special medication.
It is advisable to get doctor’s prescribed medication to relieve facial spasms. You will be give antihistamine and eye drops that will help to relieve the problem of eye twitching.
How to Stop Eye Twitching – Home Remedies
If eye twitching is bothering you and it is becoming a health issue, no reason to panic when you can have the following tips to get rid of these problems at home.
- Have enough time to sleep
It is advisable to sleep more than seven hours each day because the recommended time to sleep per day is between seven to eight hours. When you sleep less than this duration it can result to health problems.
Lack of sufficient sleep greatly affects the eyes, to avoid the twitch of the right eye, go in your bed on time and relax to a deep slumber of about eight hours each day.
- Maintain your eye well-lubricated
Having dry eyes contribute to spasms in the eyes. Fortunately the issue of dry eyes can be solved at home. Take lukewarm water on a basin and mix it with two table spoonful of honey and clean your face. Wipe it using washcloth. The honey in the water has a soothing effect on the eye and it will keep it well moist. The honey also reduces irritation of the eye and keeps it well lubricated.
- Sooth your eyes.
When your eyes are stressed by action of watching television or movie in computer for long time, it can cause spasms in your eyes. To relieve these faster at home, take cold water on a basin and cold compress your eyes using washcloth. The eye muscles will relax.
- Use milk drops
When your eyes are affected by allergies, smoke, pollution, dust particle and other chemicals like detergents, it is advisable to use cold milk by placing few drops in the affected eye. The milk has soothing effect that relieves irritation and twitching of the eye. Milk also lubricates your eye by moistening it.
- Take a balance diet
Your diet at home will help you to escape problem of muscle spasms in the facial part. Ensure you consume food rich in vitamin, B12 and magnesium mineral. Green vegetables are good for magnesium, supplement your diet with vitaminB12 and bask on the sun every morning replenish vitamin.