What causes dry skin on face? A look into the dry flaky skin on face, causes, home remedies, how to get rid overnight, scaly patches, red, under beard and around mouth.
Dry Flack Skin on face Causes
When the environmental temperature drops, the humidity level drops also. Dry air normally leaves the skin parched.
Turning up the thermostat doesn’t assist, either. Indoor heating normally strips more moisture from the air and the skin.
Install a humidifier at home so as to keep the air moist. Set the humidity at a constant of about 55%, and the temperature at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Steamy Showers
Setting the shower very steamy usually soothes the body, but it won’t do the skin any favors.
Standing under that hot spray for a long period of time is not good. The longer period that you stay in the shower, the more you dry out the skin.
Dial down the temperature of the shower to lukewarm, and then keep the showers very short. Ten minutes is enough to clean the body without over-drying.
- Moisture-Robbing Soaps
Don’t use any bar soap as they’re not the same. Wash using a harsh soap and you’ll send the skin’s barrier straight down the drain.
It is recommended the use of a mild, fragrance-free soap that usually moisturizes the skin as it cleanses. Bar or liquid soap doesn’t matter, but ensure to choose a soap that’s formulated for dry skin.
How to get rid of Dry Flaky Skin on Face Overnight
- Aloe Vera for Blotchy Skin
Aloe vera is usually considered to be a skin friendly herb. When you use the soothing gel on to the skin, then you instantly feel coldness and the itchy skin starts to feel as if it has found the right thing to treat itself. While the use of aloe vera naturally protects the skin from environmental elements such as the smoke, as well as the sun rays, it also reduces scarring and also assists to heal the cuts and burns. Thus, you can make use of aloe vera gel to the red blotchy skin brought about by almost any factor. It will be able to relieve redness, as well as inflammation because of the blotchy skin.
- Aloe vera gel
- Cotton ball
- Take the aloe vera gel directly from the aloe vera leaf.
- Use this on the blotchy skin with assistance of cotton ball.
- Leave it on for some time. Though you do not require to wash off if you feel sticky, wash using water after at least 30 minutes.
- Baking Soda for Blotchy Skin
As indicated on the causes of blotchy skin, some of the skin conditions require gentle exfoliation so as to remove the blotchy patches brought about by the dead skin cells. Baking soda is a perfect natural exfoliant that assists to open up the clogged pores and cleanse them to give you an even skin tone.
- Baking soda about 3 tbsp.
- Water- that is enough to make paste
- Make a thin paste by mixing of the baking soda and water.
- Use this to the blotchy skin patches.
- Scrub gently for about 5 minutes.
- Wash off using cold water.
- You may repeat the process daily or once in 3 days till you remove the blotchy skin.
- Oatmeal for Blotchy Skin
Oatmeal is a perfect moisturizing agent. It is able to rehydrate the very dry skin that might be giving you a blotchy skin on the leg or even on the neck. The compound avenanthramides normally present in oatmeal contains an anti-inflammatory properties also. It assists you remove the redness and also the itchiness of the skin. If you have the blotchy skin all over the body, the best method that can be used would be to take an oatmeal bath. Here are the methods to use oatmeal for the blotchy skin.
Apply Oatmeal as Mask
- Oatmeal- about 2 tbsp.
- Warm water- about 3 tbsp.
- Honey- 1/2 tsp
- Grind the oats to get fine powder.
- Add some water to it so as to get a paste.
- Add honey too.
- Apply the mixture to the blotchy patches that are on skin.
- Leave it for a period of about 5 minutes.
- Now gently massage the skin using it for a few minutes.
- Leave it again for about 10 minutes.
- Wash off using the lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process at least 5 times a week.
Oatmeal Bath for Blotchy Skin
- Oat powder-about 1 cup
- Lukewarm bath water
- Fill bath tub with enough lukewarm water.
- Add the oatmeal powder and stir well so as to mix it in there.
- Soak yourself in the water for a period of about 20 minutes.
- Now take a shower.
- Pat the skin dry.
- Repeat the process 4 times a week so as to remove the red blotchy skin.
- Green Tea Remedy for Blotchy Skin
Green tea is accepted as one of the best anti-inflammatory ingredient. Its natural anti-inflammatory as well as the anti-oxidant properties assists to remove the redness and also the swelling of flaky skin on face that makes you much uncomfortable.
- Warm water- about 1 cup
- Green tea about 1 tea bag
- Rice flour powder 1 tbsp.
- Soak the tea leaves in the warm water for 15 minutes.
- Strain or even take out the tea bag.
- Add the rice flour if using to this tea and mix so as to get a paste.
- Soak a cotton ball or a washcloth in tea paste and place it all over the flaky skin on face.
- In either case, leave it for a period of 20 minutes on the skin.
- Then wash it off using water.
- Repeat the process about 3 times a week.
- Coconut Oil for Blotchy Skin
Coconut oil contains anti-septic as well as the anti-microbial properties. Also the fatty acids of the coconut oil make it moisturizing for the dry skin that can be the reason behind the flaky skin on face. While its anti-inflammatory and also the anti-bacterial properties relieve the redness and also the inflammation, the moisturizing effect rehydrates the flaky skin on face to assist remove the blotchy skin.
Apply Plain Coconut Oil to Blotchy Skin
- Coconut oil
- Take some amount of coconut oil and use it on the flaky skin on face.
- Rub gently for a few minutes.
- Now leave it to be naturally absorbed by the skin.
- Use the oil as many times as you feel essential to remove the flaky skin on face.
Make Coconut oil Scrub for Blotchy Skin
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Mix the oil and also the sugar and the honey if using. Honey gives the skin an extra moisture.
- Use this to the flaky skin on face.
- Scrub gently for a few minutes.
- Wash off using cold water.
- Repeat the process 2 times a week
- This is especially good for the flaky skin on face brought about by keratosis pilaris.
- Yogurt for Flaky skin on face.
Yogurt contains lactic acid. This acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid, the one which is applied in several cosmetics to assist smoothen the rough, dry skin. Not only this, but the lactic acid also work as an exfoliant and thus sloughs off the dead skin cells that can be clogging the pores of the skin thus giving you a blotchy skin.
- Plain yogurt
- Use a thick layer of plain yogurt on the flaky skin on face.
- Leave it there for about 30 minutes.
- Wash off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process 3 times a week.
- Chamomile for the Blotchy Skin
Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties. It also soothes the red blotchy skin through hydration. You can apply the use of chamomile oil blended in carrier oil such as the coconut or even the olive oil. You can also make chamomile tea and give the flaky skin on face a soothing relief.
- Chamomile tea- 2 tsp
- Warm water-3 cups
- Wash cloth
- Soak the tea in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea bag.
- Let the tea cool down. You can keep it in the fridge so as to get a chilled tea for the itchy blotchy skin.
- Now soak the washcloth in the cold tea and place the cloth onto the blotchy skin.
- Leave it there for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process daily to remove the flaky skin on face faster.
- Cucumber mask for Blotchy Skin
The skin likes the cucumber for its refreshing properties that normally soothe and also soften the skin, the blotchy also.
Cucumber has anti-oxidants. Cucurbitacins along with many other anti-oxidant compounds assists reduce inflammation of the skin. It also has vitamin C, which is again vital for skin and its renewal.
While the vitamin K that is in cucumbers reduces the dark circles on the skin, its pantothenic acid assists skin retain the moisture. Also, it has vitamin A (retinol) which is a perfect remedy for dark spots as well as the flaky skin on face skin as it assists the skin control the production of melanin.
- Cucumber 2
- Lavender oil- few drops
- Cotton ball
- Peel the cucumber into small pieces.
- Now blend the cucumber pieces and pulp to extract the juice.
- Add some amount of lavender oil, if using to the cucumber juice.
- Soak the cotton ball in the juice and use it on to the face, and chest or wherever you have the flaky skin on face.
- You can also soak a washcloth in juice and place it over the skin.
- Leave the juice there for about 15 minutes.
- Wash off using cool water.
- You may do the process daily or as needed.
Dry Flaky Skin on Face Home Remedies
Use Brown Sugar and Olive Oil Sugar Scrub on Dry Skin
Olive oil has several antioxidants and also healthy fatty acids that are good for the skin. It can also be able to soothe and condition the dry skin all over the body.
- Dab a thin layer of the extra virgin olive oil under the regular moisturizer.
- Rub some olive oil on hands, face and all other areas that have dry skin and then massage lightly. Take a shower and then apply a light moisturizer.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil, four tablespoons of sugar, and one tablespoon of honey. Rub the homemade scrub on the dry skin by use of light, circular motions for 10 minutes. Take a shower and re-apply a light moisturizer.
- Milk Cream
The lactic acid that is available in milk cream assists to exfoliate the flaky skin on face. The soothing nature of milk cream assists to preserve the skin’s pH levels. Milk cream is also a perfect moisturizer.
- Mix a few drops of lemon juice, a teaspoon of milk and two teaspoons of milk cream. Rub it on the hands and also the legs. Leave it on for a short period before taking a shower. Do the process once daily.
- Add milk cream to four tablespoons of gram flour so as to make a paste. Use the paste on the face, and legs. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off using the lukewarm water. Repeat the process once daily.
Milk contains anti-inflammatory and also the soothing properties that much help remove the dry flaky skin on face and also the itchy skin. Also, the lactic acid in milk exfoliates the dead skin cells and also increases the skin’s ability to retain the moisture. Also, it assists to lighten the complexion.
- Soak a washcloth in the cold milk and put the cloth on the dry flaky skin on face for 10 minutes. Gently wash off the milk using another cloth. This way the natural moisturizer can remain on the skin. Do the process every other day.
- Add a few drops of rose water to about 5 tablespoons of milk. Rub the solution all over the flaky skin on face. Leave it on for about 15 minutes and wash the body using cold water. Follow the remedy at least twice daily.
Honey is one of the best natural moisturizers that has antioxidant, and humectant properties.
Thus, it assists to lock in the moisture so as to make the skin extra soft and also very smooth. Also, honey contains several essential vitamins and also the minerals that assists to improve the skin’s health.
- Before taking a bath or even shower, rub honey all over the body and leave it on for 10 minutes. Repeat the process daily to enjoy well-moisturized skin.
Dry Scaly Skin Patches on Face
Dry skin is a condition that troubles everyone at a point in their lives, especially in cold winter months. While it’s not a serious health issue, it can be a very serious inconvenience that involves flaking, itching, irritation as well as a lot of embarrassment.
To know the best method that can be used to treat dry skin, it’s very vital to first know why it happens and to learn the best products as well as the techniques to restore the skin’s natural healthy glow.
Unless there’s a chronic condition that is at play, dry skin is normally brought about by factors that are in the surrounding environment that are used to strip the skin of the moisture.
This can be the dry air, such as the pressurized air that is on an airplane indoor air; then if this is the case, having a humidifier in the home can assist to keep air, and the skin, from being flaky. Cold, dry air outdoors that occurs in the wintertime can also largely contribute, also, especially if it’s very windy
Flaky Skin on Face that won’t heal
Having itchy eyebrows normally isn’t a reason for concern. It might be a temporary irritation thatcan disappear on its own. If you notice the eyebrows are very itchy or when the itch doesn’t disappear, it’s a perfect idea to start tracking the symptoms.
Keeping notes about when the eyebrows itch may assist you to figure out the exact cause.
Most of conditions that causes the itchy eyebrows aren’t dangerous and shouldn’t change the vision when they are controlled. Some of the conditions are very easy to treat at home. Others need a trip to the doctor’s office or even an ongoing treatment
Red Dry Flaky Skin on Face
- Atopic Dermatitis
The most common type of eczema, atopic dermatitis normally presents as the red, itchy patches that are on the arms, face and legs. Several factors can leads to the eczema to flare up, from the stress to very extreme temperatures to the allergens such as the mold, pollen as well as the pet dander.
How to Deal: Take shorter showers and baths by use of a lipid-enriched soap for a gentle cleansing. Hard water can be very harsh on skin, so be very sure to add an emollient to the bathwater; some of the experts recommend the use of oatmeal baths for it to be soothing. Taking the evening primrose oil might as well assist to ease the itchiness.
- Sebhorreic Dermatitis
Those pesky dandruff flakes can imply that more than the scalp is in requires some treatment. Dandruff can normally be an indication of seborrheic dermatitis—which occurs on the scalp and also other oil-producing parts (such as the face, upper chest and back).
Dry Flaky Skin around Mouth
Some conditions, like the perioral dermatitis or eczema, can lead to the flaky and dry skin around the nose or even on the corners of the mouth.
In fact, cracked as well as the reddish skin that is on the face might be the body’s response to exposure to the winter weather or even frequent application of harsh detergents.
If the dry, flaky skin on face mostly around the nose and corners of the mouth is not the result of dry and unmoisturized skin, you may require to see the doctor to determine the cause
- Fighting Back Against Dry Skin: http://www.webmd.com/beauty/dry-skin-13/dry-skin-causes
- What’s causing your dry skin problem: http://www.webmd.boots.com/healthy-skin/guide/causes-dry-skin
- How to Get Rid of Blotchy Skin: http://www.rapidhomeremedies.com/how-to-get-rid-of-blotchy-skin.html
- Home Remedies for Dry Skin: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-dry-skin.html
- How to Treat Dry, Flaky Skin on Your Face: http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/moisturizing/basics/how-to-treat-dry-flaky-skin-on-your-face.htm
- What Causes Itchy Eyebrows: http://www.healthline.com/health/itchy-eyebrows
- Why Do You Have Red, Itchy, Flaky Skin: http://www.dermstore.com/blog/why-you-have-red-itchy-flaky-skin/